Who we are
Tandem is the Victorian peak body representing carers of people experiencing mental health challenges.
A carer is a family member or friend who supports a person with this experience.
Tandem members include:
- Carers and former carers.
- Regional carer networks and support groups.
- Organisations with a significant mental health carer focus.
- Workers from programs which support mental health carers.
What we do
- Promote and advocate for carer involvement in the treatment and recovery of people with mental health challenges or emotional distress.
- Promote and advocate for carer participation in the planning, delivery and evaluation of mental health services.
- Facilitate relationships between carers, carer workers, carer-focused organisations, groups and networks.
- Facilitate communication between carers, government and other stakeholders, advocating for positive policy change.
- Work in partnership with the Department of Health and other stakeholders.
- Promote the value of carer experience and carer co-design in service improvement and reform activities.
- Support and advocate for the diverse needs of Mental Health Carers.
- Promote and support the development of the mental health carer workforce and leadership.
- Keep Mental Health Carers informed about our work, upcoming events, current research and relevant public policy developments.
- Inform and empower Mental Health Carers to access the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
- Bring carer-based perspectives to mental health conferences and meetings, organising carer sessions and forums as appropriate.
- Develop and deliver training on family inclusive practice for mental health professionals.
- Provide information, education and training to members and others involved in caring for people experiencing mental health challenges or emotional distress.
- Administer the Carer Support Fund on behalf of Area Mental Health Services.
- Encourage and conduct research on best practice in carer support.
- Help raise community awareness about mental health issues and the important role of carers in the community.
Our mission is to ensure that the importance of the contribution, expertise, experiences and needs of families and other carers is recognised and that these needs are addressed.
Families and other carers of people with mental health challenges will be partners in treatment, and service delivery, planning, research and evaluation. The lived experience of families and other carers will be key drivers of policy and program formation at both the individual and systemic level.
- Recognition of and respect for the contribution of families and other carers and the value of lived experience.
- Justice and equity.
- Inclusion of families and other carers in all aspects of the mental health system.
- Diversity within the consumer and carer communities.
- Commitment to recovery, positive outcomes, empowerment and personal dignity for consumers and carers.
- Upholding the human rights of consumers, families and other carers.
- Innovation – using an evidence-based approach to policy and program issues.
- Partnership and collaboration.
At Tandem, we advocate for:
- Identification and promotion of best practice in involvement of families and other carers in the treatment of people with mental health challenges.
- Participation of families and other carers in the planning, delivery and evaluation of treatment and support services.
- Improved services to provide support for families and other carers, including education and training.
- Increased recognition by state and federal governments of the contribution of families and other carers and effective communication between families and other carers and government.
- Increased access to services for marginalised consumers, families and other carers.
- Support for research and for implementation of evidence-based resources.
- Optimal contact and communication with Victorian families and other carers and carer-focused organisations.
- Submission of effective responses on policy and program issues to influence outcomes for consumers, families and other carers.
We strive to:
- Promote family/carer involvment in treatment and care planning, and decision making.
- Promote participation of family/carers in policy development and service improvement activities.
- Advocate for the needs of family and carers to be met.
- Improve the mental health system.
Tandem Brochure & Application Form
Participation and Engagement Framework 2014
2017–2020 Tandem Strategic Plan
2013–2016 Tandem Strategic Plan
2010–2013 VMHCN Strategic Plan
Tandem gratefully acknowledges the funding provided by the Victorian Department of Health & Human Services.